Monday 26 November 2007

On the "Up" bit of the rollercoaster

Today was a day of relief (in some ways) and celebration.
For Mum, we saw the surgeon and (at last) had confirmation that her cancers were metastatic but they are operable. Cannot quite explain the relief that hope brings. She will need a number of operations, the first in a couple of weeks. Poor Mum is in for a tough time. But the fact that they are offering them means that they think the prognosis is good. The surgeon was wonderful with both her and me. We even managed to have a laugh and he put us both at ease. It appears that the reason she has had such a bad time with cancer is genetic, since she leads such a healthy life and has been so unlucky. So he pointed out that I needed to be very careful too. Time to clean up my act I feel :o) So...."My body is a temple (and not a cesspit)" is my new mantra :o)

Then, down to the vets to pick up Yogi Bear. All was well this morning, Rich took him in at 11 as agreed. Then Allyson called at 12.30 saying that John wanted to see us at 3 i.e. we couldn't have him back until then. When I got back from the hospital and heard that, my immediate thoughts were that something was wrong. But no, John is DELIGHTED with him. I don't think that he can quite believe how well he is doing in tolerating the chemo. He seemed quite thrilled. And I don't imagine that John does "thrilled" that often:o) His blood count is up from last week. HandH, thank you so very much for the tips about cottage cheese and flax oil. It is working.
John tells me that Yogi will need chemo each week for 2 months then every other week and so on, gradually reducing. If he continues the way he is doing............ I was going to tempt fate and say what John thinks his lifespan COULD be. But I won't. He is doing brilliantly and the chemo is working for him and not knocking him out in any way. That is good enough for me.
Now, he is very contented, fed and sporting a natty little blue bandage on his leg.
Time for a walk...........

5 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

Such good news! Your mother is going to be alright I am sure (she will make sure she is), and dearest Yogi is doing his very best not to add to your worries. I could just cuddle him to bits.

Anonymous said...

Yay! It's so good to read that you've had such a good day, your mothers prognosis is good, and that Yogi's responding to the chemo so well. You deserved some good news!

HandH said...

Hurray! Glad your mother is in good hands, and brilliant news about Yogi - really cheered me up!

Fiona said...

Thank you all for your kind messages. This week has been quite exhausting and I'm glad it's the weekend at last. Time to catch my breath a bit.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the weekend. I recommend wine...