Saturday 24 November 2007

My week

I have sort of hummed and hah'd whether to dump this in here. But have decided that although it is ultimately Yogi's journey, it's mine too and since all this has happened, I have found "blogging" strangely cathartic.
Around the time that Yogi was diagnosed with cancer, my mum was too. I felt that I had been dealt a double blow and that my life was falling apart. I think it's the shock of the "C" word. It always seems so inevitable that this will be the end. Mum has had cancer before. 6 years ago she had lung cancer and made a complete recovery. No chemo, "just" an operation to remove it. At the beginning of this year she had bowel cancer. Once again, no chemo it was caught early and removed by an operation. Again I thought she was cured and aside from a fairly long recovery period, she has done brilliantly. At 72 she is living independently and very fit as well, walking her dog 3 times a day and helping me to look after mine. So when she called me and said that she had cancer again in the lung and in the adrenal glands, those horrendous feelings of hopelessness seemed to overwhelm me. She told me that they were "independent cancers" i.e. not metastatic and that they were operable. So once again we played the waiting game for biopsies and consultations. I felt quite positive as I don't believe that she would have said anything if she believed it was terminal. She has always said that she wouldn't say until she had to. Anyway, this week she had an appointment at the hospital for the results of a lung biopsy. She wouldn't let me go with her (said there was no need) but my brother insisted on going with her. That's when the doctor mentioned that she also has breast cancer too. I fell to pieces when I found out. She is still saying that everything will be dealt with by operations. I am not so sure. I am terrified but can't show it. She I think is terrified but can't show it. As is my brother. I feel as if I don't know "how to be" much of the time. On Monday Rich is taking Yogi for his chemo and I am taking my mum to see a consultant for the adrenal gland cancer. I need to spend this weekend sorting out a list of questions and trying to stay strong when in reality I am very scared.

5 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

Fiona,

I would also be very scared. I am shell shocked - I can't believe how cruel life can be for some people (and such good people too). I even said in my last comment that I was glad you were both doing well - far from it. I live in Rainhil, Merseyside, but I have no idea where you are. If I could help you in anyway please let me know.

It just goes to show that what most people think are worries and problems are by comparison so trivial - I tend to be one of those......!!

Fiona said...

Hi Lesley, you are so very kind, thank you. One of the problems I have is that I find it so very difficult to "talk" about. Writing it down gives a sort of "release". I think dealing with the if's, but's and maybe's is the hardest. I am hoping that we will get some answers tomorrow.
Thank you for caring. It does mean a lot. Yes, I too loose the plot over the trivial - often :o) xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh Fiona, you do seem to have far more than your fair share of worries. I do hope some good things come into your life soon. Love and hugs from us! xxx

HandH said...

SO sorry - I've been there. My mother died of cancer four years ago, after multiple operations. Her way of dealing with it was to pretend it wasn't happening and none of it was serious. As a result, she lived several years past a consultant's most optimistic predictions. It's hard not being able to talk freely to her, but I expect she's doing what feels best for her. It's a lot to deal with at once, though, for you...

Fiona said...

Thanks Graham and HandH, we have had some good news today about Yogi and Mum, so although completely exhausted i feel better than I did Saturday.
HandH, I am so sorry to hear about your mum too. It sounds like she was a tough cookie and that served her well. I think my mum is a bit like that. I hope so xxx