Monday 19 November 2007

3rd Chemo

Today Yogi went in for chemo number 3. Masses of trepidation again. How will he react? Is he doing well? Is it just my imagination that he seems brighter? Running the rollercoaster of emotions on a daily basis is just so tough. Yes, he looks great, but is he feeling more tired than usual? Why did he spit out that piece of cheese (he ate it again when Larry was about) ? Are his glands really getting smaller, or is it my imagination -again?.....Speaking to John (vet) this evening, he was very positive. He thought that Yogi was doing brilliantly. He is slightly anaemic which may be due to the cancer or the chemo. Not sure which yet, but further blood tests will monitor the situation. He had his stitches out but there are a couple of "holes" open that need to be kept very clean. That is due to the pred and rest of chemo drugs, with everything else that are doing, they are also stopping a complete healing process. Need to keep an eye on them to make sure they are clean. Leaving him at the vets was also horrible. Up until today he trotted off happily with the nurses, not today though, he was struggling to get back to me as they took him off. I felt such a heel. One thing that REALLY is worrying me is that he is not getting out often enough for a wee while he is at the vets. When he was collected, I am sure he wee'd for about 30 seconds, it was gushing out of him. They also said that he barked continously. He is a barker, but not fanatical about it. I think that he was uncomfortable. I will have a word next week and make sure that he is taken out more regularly - if that is the problem. Or it maybe that he was just chatting. I hope so. The last thing I want to do is make his life more uncomfortable than it needs to be. I know that in reality, it maybe months rather than longer and I want that time to be happy for him. This evening though, he is as bright as a button, wanting to eat everything in sight and just being the happy, boisterous Yogi he has always been. Long may it last.

5 comments:

HandH said...

Glad he's back in one piece! A quiet reminder to the vet nurses that your dog's on pred and needs to pee A LOT might help :-)
If Yogi's white cell count is down, I've heard that cottage cheese and flaxseed oil helps, but not sure about red cell count. Hope he has a good week!

Lesley Rigby said...

You really have enough bigger worries and could do without these extra worries. I am sure the nurses mean well but how upsetting it is to leave a much loved pet trusting that their every need will be met and it isn't. It makes me angry to think you have been put in the position of having to say something when it shouldn't be that way.

On a brighter note he sounds very happy to be home again and as he is full of beans that is wonderful. He is home, safe and loved at the end of the day! I hope you have a good night and he continues to do well. xxxxxxxx

Fiona said...

It's all sorted now. I think sometimes unless you REALLY know the animal, you might not pick up on the warning signs of distress or lack of comfort. I know that I have made that mistake before and probably will again. I am just pleased that all will be ok now. Yogi sends lots of licks and says "thank you for caring"

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased to hear that Yogi's doing well - I think you should take real strength from that.

I'm sorry to hear that he was so keen for a wee when he came out though. Do you know which drug was he having? Depending on his protocol, and the vets, I think they do introduce certain fluids into the bladder to try to protect it from the side effects that Prince suffered from - I wonder if this might have been the case? I know that some of the drugs Prince had intravenously had to be given so slowly to avoid 'shocking' the system that his treatment actually took a long time on some days - usually leaving him quite keen to go to the toilet when he escaped!

Lots of love to you all,

G, P & T xxx

Fiona said...

Good point Graham. He is on Vincristine once a week, Endoxana three times a week and Pred every other day. I have no idea if they have changed his dose of Vincristine, but possibly as this was the first time he has been this "desperate" shall we say.
Hope that you and Tilly are doing well. Love and best wishes to both of you xxx