Tuesday 13 November 2007

Good News !


Well, I think that this dog is trying his hardest to exhaust us. 4am this morning it was time for another wee break. That's fine except he was pulling a "fast one". Quick wee and then time to settle down, in the rain for a good old chew on a bone. I was standing like an idiot at the back door trying to whisper sternly for him to come in. He had his back to me and had absolutely NO intention of leaving that old bone. OK, so stern whispering wouldn't do it, lets try garlic sausage. Into the fridge for a slice and then out into the rain and dark, in slippers that immediately got soaked, to dangle a bit of sausage in front of his nose. Nothing. Not even a break in chewing. He knows he shouldn't bring bones in the house so he just stayed there munching loudly. In the end, I had to break the rules, let him in with bone AND give him the sausage. Guess I know who's boss then?
One hour later and it was time to get up to walk them.....
Today, we had great news, the vet called and said we could start to cut down his steroids. He was on 7 a day, now it will be 4 every other day! Bit worried though, is that normal so soon?
Also, does anyone know anything about dogs that have gone into remission? I keep thinking of questions, but never when I am at the vets it seems.....
One thing that I am trying and have been since he became ill is Photonic Therapy - it is like acupuncture but using light to stimulate the points. I did a course here http://www.galesphotonictherapy.com/ last year. It won't do any harm and it is worth a try, I am also using it on myself to keep calm. The funny thing is, every time I use the torch on him (that's what it is, a torch using specific wavelengths to stimulate healing) he reacts in some way, at first he used to growl a little, it doesn't hurt, but he must "feel" something, or he would lick a specific point on his foot. I so hope it is helping him.
So, all in all, it seems to be more positive. Vet says not to get hopes up just yet, but if there is no hope, what is there?
Success!! Photo at last :o)

7 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

He is GORGEOUS! What a lovely cuddly boy - and attitude he has got that in bucket loads. He does make me laugh with his bones in the garden. Wonderful that you allowed him to take it indoors but I probably shouldn't be saying that.
Big Hugs for Yogi xxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

What a handsome boy - he looks full of character too! And of course, a wily b*gger when it come to bones...!

Princes Prednisolone was reduced quite quickly too, after an initially high dose, so from my perspective it's quite normal.

He did go into 'remission' fairly quickly, although I'm a little bit wary of that word because it's not used quite as scientifically with dogs as it is humans. They basically refer to a dog being in remission when all the lymph glands are back to their 'normal' size, although unlike humans it doesn't mean that cancer cells are no longer present. What were the remission questions you were thinking about?

Fiona said...

Oh Lesley, Graham, thank you! He is wonderful isn't he? Yes, you are right about the attitude, he runs rings around me (although that isn't hard when you have a face like his...)
Questions about remission? Well, how long does it last I guess is my main one. Was looking on the net today and got quite depressed about it really. I understand (now) it's not permanent, but when we are looking at months....too much of a dose of reality I think. I think the vet did say something to that effect. Guess I wasn't listening properly. But for now, he is feeling great, and that is what I will focus on, it's quality not quantity isn't it?
I bet Prince is so proud of both of you, even though you are struggling, you are still supporting others xxxx

Lesley Rigby said...

I see his lovely face throughout the day and I do hope he is getting on alright. Please don't think I expect updates too often as you have your work and a very busy home life taking care of Yogi. Just to let you know he has made such an impression on me!
XXXXXXXXXX (For Yogi)

HandH said...

Don't lose hope! Bullet, whose "mother" wrote Help Your Dog Fight Cancer, survived four years in remission and died of heart failure at a ripe old age. Long-standing remissions are rare but not unheard of. And thanks for the link to photonic therapy, I'm going to read their website now! (and great photo by the way XXX to Yogi)

Fiona said...

Hi Lesley, I know JUST what you mean. It's that face isn't it? Heartbreaking. Yes, work and Yogi are taking over my time just now. But it is important to keep up with the news. Just now, he has half clambered onto my lap for a cuddle, he is doing great. Just going to put some dinner on and then a fuller update. He says "thank you for the kisses" :o)

Fiona said...

Hi Handh, Thank you for that. I must say that sometimes I do get bogged down with the black stuff. Will check out the book. I'll never give up hope though, but I know that negative thoughts won't help. I have heard lots of good things about the Photonic therapy, and it's always worth a try. Hugs and kisses to you and Herbie and Holly. I know that the well ones sometimes feel left out. That's what Larry keeps telling me anyway :o)