Friday 16 November 2007

Dilemma

This isn't a dilemma about Yogi's illness as such. It is more a dilemma about time management in general. Yogi is doing really well. He has had 2 chemo sessions, his glands have gone right down (I can only feel 1 up slightly in his neck). He is happy, full of life and eating brilliantly. BUT him being ill makes me think about the limited time we have to spend with him day to day. Both of us work. We travel quite a few miles daily. When we adopted dogs originally, we always took on older or old dogs who probably would not be taken on by many due to health, age or behavioural issues. We felt that even though their time with us was limited, they would have a safe, comfortable and loving home for the rest of their lives. Yogi is the youngest dog we have had. Yes, he did have behavioural problems, he had had at least 3 homes previously that didn't work out, but he seemed to fit in with Max and we thought we could give him a good life. I think we have, but in the back of my mind I always feel a bit guilty that we work and the dogs have to "fit in" with us. He has fitted in brilliantly however (all credit to him) and has learnt that yes, he does have periods where he is "in charge" but that he has a routine that he can cope with and seems to be happy with. But since he has been ill, it has become evident that he can't manage for the length of time that we are not here. At the moment it's sorted. My Mum comes round every couple of hours to give them a cuddle, a snack and let them out for a wee. This is working well but still makes me feel guilty. I expect that anyone with animals or kids probably feels the same at some point. I have a sympathetic boss, so if the worst came to the worst, I guess I could probably work from home sometimes.
Anyway, that is not an issue just now and for now I am grateful that he is doing well and all things crossed that he continues to do so.

No comments: