Saturday 1 December 2007

What's going on?

Sometimes I wonder what on earth is happening. This morning I was looking forward to a lie in - well the sort I get with dogs would be until about 7am if lucky, and I had thought that today we would take the dogs out for a nice long (ish) walk. Yogi would be up for it as would Larry. They have not been on any significant walks since Yogi became ill. 6am and Larry started barking to go out - very unlike him since he is generally lazy and likes to stay in bed as long as possible. I let them both out and left them to it. After a while, Yogi asked to come in, usually not necessary as Larry knows how to open the door (he hasn't figured out how to close it yet though). Not thinking anything was wrong, I carried on making coffee etc. After about 10 minutes I wondered what Larry was up to, so turned the security light on and saw him still wandering round and round the garden. Very unlike him. I called him in and he seemed a bit reluctant to come. But eventually he did and I thought that just maybe there had been a fox or a cat in the garden that had left a scent that was interesting. I took Yogi out for his walk and in the meantime Rich had let Larry out again. He mentioned that he had been very sick. I still wasn't terribly worried. Took Larry out for his walk and when we returned, he seemed ready for his breakfast. Again he wanted to go out into the garden and again he was out there for ages. When I looked, he was just lying on the grass. Not normal at all. We popped out for about an hour and when we came back found he had been violently sick. Then I am afraid I did panic. I called the vets and they said to bring him down straight away. The vets is traumatic for Larry, he needs to be muzzled and he gets very stressed. Fortunately John was on, he knows Larry and understands him well. Larry has a slight temperature but was too tense for John to examine his tummy properly. So he had a couple of injections and cannot eat anything today and he can only have a saucer of water every hour or so. Then he goes back on Monday. Poor dog is knackered now and sleeping deeply in his basket.
What worries me is a) he has been on Rimadyl for his arthritis for a couple of years now - I have heard that it can affect the liver. b) his symptoms are similar to Yogis. I know I am probably being extra paranoid just now, but he is not a young dog and at the moment most things seems to worry me.
Graham has recommended wine, I think he is very wise :o)

3 comments:

HandH said...

Fingers crossed! If it's his liver, it's more likely that he'd be off his food, but a blood test will show if Larry's liver values are off. He may have eaten something he shouldn't, in which case starving him will give it time to work its way through.Hope it's something temporary and non-serious.

Lesley Rigby said...

I hope Larry is feeling a lot better by now but please let us know asap how he is (when you have a hard to come by minute to spare!). I had to smile at the idea of him opening the door for the pair of them. Such little treasures..........

Anonymous said...

Poor Larry, I hope he's feeling better by now. I hope it's just a 'one-off' episode, and nothing more. I'm sure it will be.

Prince used to have the odd time when he'd be terribly sick over and over again, and not even be able to keep water down. Nothing but a 2am visit to the vets and an injection would stop him. Thankfully this only happened two or three times over his lifetime, and was generally thought to be due to him having scoffed something entirely unsuitable whilst out walking.....