Saturday 22 December 2007

1 down, 2 to go.....

Mum had her operation to remove her adrenal gland on Wednesday. She had a bit of a "funny turn" with the anaesthetic. They thought that she may have a heart attack so kept her in recovery all night to monitor her. It was quite worrying because I was ringing the hospital every hour or so just to be told that she hadn't returned from recovery yet. Eventually the ward put me through to recovery and they tried to explain that she may have an ischaemic event. Very worrying. All we could do was wait. By the morning, all seemed to be OK. Visited her and she seemed fairly bright. Even better, the next day she was to be discharged. When I went to pick her up, she didn't look well at all. She felt very sick, and was in some pain. OK, so how do I get a poorly woman accross the hospital to the car? The porter wasn't able to help (I gather he had a hangover). They said I could borrow a wheelchair. Great! The one they gave me was like a duff supermarket trolley with three wheels that worked and one that didn't. The only advice they could offer was that if I was about to collide with a wall or person - stop!! Off we went in a rather higgledy piggledy fashion. By this time I am afraid I had the giggles, probably a touch of nervous tension. Poor mum I think felt even worse by the time we had reached our destination.
This morning she was feeling really ill so I called the emergency doctor. They told me that it may be that the painkillers weren't suiting her or that the remaining adrenal gland wasn't working so bring her in. After a 2 hour wait, we saw a lovely doctor who examined her and did feel it was the tablets. So he gave her some different ones and something for the sickness. If she isn't feeling well tomorrow she has to go back for tests. I have just spoken to her and she thinks she feels a little better. So fingers crossed there is nothing more sinister going on.

Lesley, I am so impressed with your mum having a major op at 80! It has reminded me that I shouldn't expect miracle recoveries when the patient is older. I think I forget that sometimes.

You are right, God did give us dogs to make us smile. Yogi and Larry have been doing just that. This morning I think that they were acting out a scene of the old TV show Gladiators. There was a game where 2 contestants would stand on a pole and knock 7 bells out of each other with a weapon. Today, Larry had the "teddy" (weapon) and Yogi had to go for his front legs while Larry beat him on the head with it! They went on for ages - well until Yogi was tired and Larry felt he had won. He always has to win - that's the rules.....:o)

2 comments:

HandH said...

Fingers crossed the new pills, and a good night's sleep, make her feel better. Sending good thoughts, and glad to hear Larry and Yogi are enjoying themselves!

Lesley Rigby said...

Oh Fiona, I have to confess I have laughed so much over the wheelchair! Very wrong of me but talk about calamity.....
The lovely Doctor must have been a Godsend - don't you just love them when they make you feel safe and cared for? I hope your Mum responds well to the new tablets.
Yogi and Larry are helping to make you laugh - absolute treasures. No doubt lots of toys are heading their way from Santa as they are such good boys !
I hope all goes well over Christmas. Enjoy each day as it comes and have a great time. Lots of Love. xxxx