Tuesday 18 December 2007

What a day! Firstly, Mum has developed a streaming cold. I don't think they like to operate when someone has a cold ? Not sure if a head cold counts or whether it has to be anything worse? She has been on the phone to nurses on and off all day, but not one of them has mentioned how awful she sounds ! Mum won't ask as she just wants it done and over with. No idea what I should say or do. She was supposed to go into hospital this evening for her op tomorrow. All was arranged that we would get her to Leicester by 7pm. At about 5pm the hospital had called her to say they didn't have a bed until the morning. How the hell can they work like that? Now we have to take her in at 6am. Not a problem but its just another night of worry (especially now that she has a cold to add to her woes). What worries me even more is that she is supposed to have the operation tomorrow (they can't tell her what time exactly) but there was NO MENTION at all that she shouldn't eat after a certain time!!!! I can't believe it. She has decided that she won't eat or drink after midnight (based on previous experience) but how can they not tell someone? This whole thing is just unbelievable. The reason she has had to wait so long for this operation in the first place is down to a lack of communication between hospitals - she is being treated by two and one didn't think to chase the other to arrange treatment. I shouldn't knock the NHS because on the whole in the past they have been pretty good. But this time there has been a number of problems. It worries me that as she is not young, is she not getting the best treatment?
I am crossing everything possible that all is OK tomorrow....

7 comments:

HandH said...

Aargh- just seen this, hope your Mum was admitted this morning, and that everything's going a bit more smoothly than it has done recently. Sending prayers!

Lesley Rigby said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lesley Rigby said...

For some reason the code has appeared in my previous message. If you can Fiona please delete the code.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I picked this up late. I hope everything went relatively smoothly and your Mum's not feeling too bad.

I'm pleased that Yogi's doing well too - I hope it helps to ease the enormous strain you must be under. He's clearly a strong little chap....

Fiona said...

Hi Lesley, the only way I could remove the code was to delete the comment.
But thank you. Yes, I will make a fuss if I need to. She did go in and they have done the op. They tell me she is stable. Whatever that means.
So sorry to hear your mum had cancer too. It is a nightmare isn't it?

Fiona said...

Handh, Graham, thank you. Yogi, Larry and Fudge (Mums dog) are keeping me sane just now

Lesley Rigby said...

I don't expect a reply Fiona - things are just getting a bit too busy, but just to say I hope your mother has picked up after the operation. My mother was 80 when she had her oesophagus replaced, and she didn't really come round from the operation for 4-5 days. I'm sure your mother isn't anything like as old, but it does knock them back in later life, and it's amazing the difference a week can make. You've got three lovely dogs to make you smile. I think God gave us dogs to help us survive life!!