Monday 17 March 2008

St Patrick's day 1989 - Remembering Monty

Today is St Patrick's day. 19 years ago to the day that I met my very first rescue dog. It is a strange story and once again it makes me believe that dogs choose their owners and not the other way around.
I had been helping out at a local rescue centre for a couple of years, fostering elderly and feral cats. The centre dealt mainly in felines but never turned away a dog in need either. I had a call from a woman who had seen a dog from her window. He had been laying under the lampost for over an hour and she was worried. She had called the dog warden who informed her that he had been chasing after a dog of that description for a few days but had been unable to catch him. By the time she called me, the dog warden I guess was "off duty" and had all but given up the chase. The woman was reluctant to approach the dog as although he didn't seem aggressive, she was nervous. She asked me to come along and see if I could do anything. It was a cold night I remember it so clearly) and armed with a lead, some food and a bit of dutch courage since I didn't have that much experience of dogs, I wandered along to see if I could help. The dog was still laying under the lampost almost as if he was waiting for something. I wasn't sure how to approach him/her so I stood still for a moment and then called. More or less immediately, he got up and wandered towards me. As he approached I let him sniff my hand, he seemed friendly enough, didn't appear to be hurt so I slipped a lead over his neck. He just stood and watched me. The woman seemed relieved and returned to her house. I was left standing like a lemon with a dog that I had no idea what to do with on a freezing cold night! First daft thought was that maybe he was lost, perhaps if I walked around with him he might lead me to his home. We wandered, he sniffed but took me absolutely nowhere. I decided we couldn't keep wandering aimlessly so thought I had better take him home with me. I had a house full of cats and it was late at night. I didn't want to just let him in in case there was carnage. So next best thing for him was to make him a warm bed in the shed. I got a load of coats and blankets and some warm food and settled him in. He seemed remarkably calm and took to being snuggled in the shed really well. I decided to call the police and see if anyone had reported him lost. They hadn't. So a sleepless night was spent a) going to check on him and b) wondering what to do with him. He was a Lab x, quite big and probably about 8 or 9 years old. He was gorgeous....Rich had been working late and met him on one of the forays outside. They bonded instantly and I knew that I was lost. Even better, in the morning I let him out of the shed in the garden, he came straight to the patio doors and just calmly looked in - while the cats stared out at him :o). There was no barking and I suppose because of that, the cats were not nervous. It seemed too good to be true. OK so now we wanted him to stay. We had to wait a month before he could be officially classed as ours. What a nightmare that was. Each day praying that no-one claimed him. No-one did and once the four weeks were over we could relax. He was a superb dog, no major hang-ups, perfect manners and amazing off the lead. We couldn't have wished for an easier induction into canine care.
A few weeks later a neighbour stopped and said that they recognised him. They said his name was Rocky and he belonged to a man who had had him from a pup. The man, who lived locally, had taken on a German Shepherd who had more or less pushed Monty/Rocky out. The weird thing was, that from time to time we saw this man and his new dog, Monty never once looked at him and he never once looked at Monty.
Monty was a superb dog, travelled everywhere, introduced us to many beautiful walks and became a huge part of the family. Even the cats loved him.
He spent 6 very happy years with us, then he suddenly became ill and was diagnosed with liver cancer. It was very quick and very devastating. But boy, did he teach us a lot about dog care.
Since Monty, the dogs have become more challenging but equally lovely in their own right. All of them have had so much to give and so much to teach.
Thank you Monty, you were one very special hound.

6 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

Yes, that really was a strange beginning. How odd that the original owner didn't acknowledge Monty. What sort of a woman would just leave you with the dog when you had been so good to go out and help. It says something for the human race doesn't it? Give me dogs any day and you have certainly been chosen by some super duper "Boys"!

I hope you are coping alright. You have more than Yogi looking out for you haven't you?

Fiona said...

Hi Lesley, yep, nought so queer as folk as they say...
We have been chosen by some lovely boys. Strange that they have all been boys too. We have had one foster bitch...and of course Fudge on and off, but all the permies have been boys. Lovely ones too.
With coping? Sometimes OK and sometimes not I guess is the most honest answer. I really don't think I have ever felt such acute pain as with Yogi going. Makes me feel guilty too. I miss that dog SO very much

HandH said...

How lovely to be found :-) I'm sure there will be more foundlings one day, and in the meantime, hope you're doing OK. Hugs from the hounds,
H

Linda Seid Frembes said...

What a great story. I always think it's odd that some people don't have a deep connection with their dogs. How can that man share his home with a dog for 8 or 9 years and then not care what happens to him? Monty was very lucky that you came out to help.

Alison said...

what a wonderful story Fiona. thank you for sharing. We were owned by our first cat in a very similar manner...I might have to blog about it one day!

Phil said...

Wow, what an amazing story and well written too!
I would have done the same thing in your position and yes, dogs know more than they like to let on :]
Good on you for making his years lovely and memorable!!!