Saturday 19 January 2008

Where do I begin.......
OK, I'll start with the good stuff.
Mum is doing brilliantly. This hospital has been superb in EVERY way. The operation went smoothly with absolutely nothing going wrong. The pain was well managed and the care exceptional. She is recovering quickly and also at last seems more positive. More importantly she seems proud of herself too. As she should. She has been through so much and also has so much to go through I can't imagine how she deals with it. Well done Mum!
We are picking her up today and she is going to stay with my brother and his family for a week or so. I am sure that she will be reunited and walking with Fudge soon.

On Thursday, I did my regular examination of Yogi and to my absolute horror, found that his glands had swollen again. They were huge. It seemed that they came up in a matter of hours. He seemed well in himself though. He is due for a round of chemo on Monday but I thought I should call the vet and check whether he should be seen to perhaps have it early. John wasn't on so spoke to another one who told me that as long as he was OK in himself that he should wait until Monday to be seen. On Friday (yesterday) he still seemed well but was coughing quite badly so called John and took him in straight away. We were told that it MAY be an infection but more likely that the drugs were not working so well. He is now on antibiotics as his immune system is already compromised and to add another dose of chemo which will bring it down even more could be dangerous. Today he still seems well and is eating heartily but that old familiar feeling of dread is lurking dangerously within me.
We talked about the treatment options going forward and it probably means going back to weekly treatments. But we will see how he responds on Monday.

How I wish that I could write a blog that was purely positive......

3 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

Someone else has a fantastic Mum! She should be rightly proud of herself for her fighting spirit, but then you know they always say the people who are loved and have something to live for do much better in the long run.
Yogi will pick up for the same reason but I do wonder how much can one person take............this is just cruel. It gives new meaning to the word stress.
I mustn't continue - Grham mocks me terribly for saying in a hundred words what could be said in two! It's a wonder I ever open my mouth..........!! Chin up. xxxx

HandH said...

So pleased about your Mum, I've been wondering all week, and was glad to see in a comment that she was sitting up already! Sorry about Yogi, but I hope the vet can give you more news on Monday. It's not unusual for chemo to be postponed because the immune system has taken a bashing, I know one greyhound owner who said her dog was slow about everything, even chemo had to be done twice as slowly as a normal dog. Keeping fingers crossed, H and hounds

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Yogis had a set-back. I hope everything went well yesterday. Great news about your Mum though!