Saturday 5 January 2008

Another day, another bombshell

I haven't been blogging that much lately partly because sometimes it's been a bit tough to see the brighter side of life and although helpful to jot it down I don't want to dwell too much if I can help it.
But for the record, this is where we are now.
I went to see the lung surgeon with Mum on Thursday to see where we go from here with her cancer and also to get the results of the adrenal removal. The good news is that they will operate (there was some doubt after the adrenal op) then I found out that the hospital had known about the lung cancer for a year and hadn't done anything about it. When she had the bowel cancer op at the beginning of 2007, she had some trouble breathing, they thought she may have pneumonia. They xray'd and told us that the xray was clear. Then a letter when she was diagnosed THIS time stated that the "cancer had grown slightly". Yet NO-ONE had told her or us that there was anything wrong at all. Shocked, devastated and very angry I think just about describes it. If it had been dealt with then, perhaps the cancer wouldn't have spread so much. Mum has known since November when she was first diagnosed but had chosen not to tell us as she felt it would be too much to take. I think that was wrong because a) it is bad for her to keep things bottled up. b) we all need to know what we are dealing with. But anyway, it is her choice and she must deal with things as she wants to. Having said that, I think she is relieved it's all out in the open now.
My first instinct was litigation, it was pure negligence on their part that it has gone this far. Now that the dust has settled somewhat and having talked it through I am wondering what good it would do. We are where we are and we must deal with it. It would probably just add more stress onto a difficult situation and it wouldn't do Mum any good. So is there any point? I don't know.
So, next week Mum is going into hospital to have the lung op. She is terrified and so are we.

On a lighter note the boys are keeping our spirits up. Larry has decided that Christmas was all too much what with all the disruption to routine, celebrations and having a "woman" in the house (Fudge). He prefers an all male domain really, well, apart from me ;o) and has taken to his bed. Actually, he spends most of his time lounging around in his basket and he is probably the laziest collie I have EVER known. He is doing his Greta Garbo routine at the moment and just about saying "I vont to be alone" :o). No doubt he will get over it by about February - he usually does. I wonder if he suffers from SAD syndrome?
Yogi is the opposite, he loves everything and accepts changes readily with incredible enthusiasm. As long as he can be included he's up for it! He is still madly in love with "Honky" and takes him everywhere. All of a sudden he will collapse in a heap and start sucking his toy, going into a little contented trance. Fantastic to watch. His eyes stay sort of open but they seem to sink and be unfocused. I guess that's his meditation time. We never disturb him when he's doing that :o)

Yogi is going in for chemo on Monday. Now providing all is well, he will have a session every two weeks for two months. He is such a tough little devil that I'm sure he will be fine. Fingers crossed....

P.S Toothache turned out to be some sort of infection so on antibiotics at the moment, they have promised some sort of drilling experience on Monday. Root canal - here we come :o)

4 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

I have been thinking about this last post of yours Fiona for the last 20 hours it seems. Even throughout the night whenever I surfaced I thought about it! I think you should at least make a formal complaint and ask the hospital why they didn't tell you at the time and why they chose to do nothing about it. I tend to agree with you over legal action - nothing would be gained and it would have to be your mother who instigated it and I am sure that isn't what she would want at this time. You MUST have some answers.
Good luck tomorrow with dearest Yogi. A little character like that deserves all the good that can come his way. Thinking of you. xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless at the way the hospital has acted - good luck for your Mums operation though, I hope she's able to concentrate on getting better rather that the hospitals ineptitude.

Good luck to Yogi too, for tomorrow. I'm delighted that he's taking things in his stride and long may it continue.....

HandH said...

OMG, Fiona, I'm so sorry - can't believe that the hospital wouldn't tell you. Hope your Mum's next op goes better (and please remind them they need to try a different anaesthetic this time).
Glad Yogi's doing well, and root canal work is OK, you get tons of anaesthetic, and it's really worth it to be rid of the pain! (It's not been a good week, has it?)Keeping all fingers crossed for you.

Lesley Rigby said...

Fiona,
The last thing you have got time for at the moment is your Blog. I do want you to know however that I am thinking of you and your Mum this week and hoping everything is going well for her. Lots of Love to all of you.