Monday 11 February 2008

Yogi's day out

On Sunday we wanted to do something special for Yogi. There is a walk in Hertfordshire (where we used to live) that is probably one of my favourite walks of all time. So although he has done this walk many times before, it is still special to everyone. We have walked it for over 20 years with various dogs. It changes through the seasons but always has a kind of "good atmoshphere" about it. Although it can't be described as local any more, it is still worth the 80 odd mile round trip. The walk is around Ayot St Lawrence, home of the playwright George Bernard Shaw. It's about 7 miles long and takes in water meadows, woods, fields, a church, a village and personal points of interest such as "the face of the moon" (lumpy bumpy bridleway) leading to "Hunters Bridge" (filmed for scenes in Band of Brothers) and "bat alley" (walk at dusk, throw pebbles in the air and watch the bats divebomb them) and of course the pub :o).
The first time we walked it, we were fairly novice walkers. We thought it would be good to get a book of local walks. These tend to be pretty vague to say the least, but if you follow them in daylight you should just about find your way around. The first time we did this walk was a beautiful summers evening. We took a wrong turn about a third of the way around but eventually found our way to the Brocket Arms, the local. After a few pints too many and not realising that evening was drawing in we wandered off onto what seemed like "the face of the moon" in the dark and trying to follow a well used bridleway, well, that's what it felt like....The only way we could read the book was by Rich's lighter which selfishly ran out after about 30 mins. I had pictures of waiting for daylight huddled up in the woods with just Monty to keep warm :o) Eventually we found our way back though. I think all in all the walk took about 7 hours, was the middle of the night before we reached civilisation :o).
Yesterday the weather was like a perfect spring day, we started off pretty early and took time to enjoy all the different landscapes and views. Then settled in the pub for a while :o) Dogs had crisps, we had Abbot ale and very nice it was too. The proprietor of the pub is Toby Wingfield Digby who has been a very genial host over the last couple of decades. When we had sociable dogs, they were welcomed by the massive fireplace to chat to the locals. Now it's the garden, but still as welcoming. Yogi had a great day I so hope he has many more.

.....and then came the beers :o)

12 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

It sounded so lovely I had to have a look on Google Earth. What a beautiful area. It would have done you all the world of good. Let's hope you have a lot more very happy days.

Lesley Rigby said...

The photos have only just appeared since I left my first comment - puzzling......
I wanted to say your hair looks beautiful. A fantastic cut.

Fiona said...

Lesley, that walk ALWAYS does me so much good. In many ways, I wish I lived there. Yes, fingers crossed for many more. Yogi is still bouncing around today and sends you lots of love and licks xxx

Fiona said...

THANK YOU Lesley, I was thinking how unflattering the photo was!!! Just goes to show how we see ourselves....

Lesley Rigby said...

Tell Yogi I felt as if I was watching over him today. I had his photo up on screen in my Adobe photoshop because I had lightened it slightly. While I opened and closed photos I had taken over the weekend Yogi stayed there sleeping all afternoon. I felt such love for him. If I could have made him better with the power of thought he would be by now. How I wish.........

Fiona said...

Lesley, the power of thought is incredible. Please keep doing whatever you are doing. He seems better today. He needs things like that. Desperately. Thank you.

Linda Seid Frembes said...

What a fantastic day! I'm glad you and Yogi enjoyed the walk. Sending good thoughts to you both.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a lovely day. I'm so sorry to read that his glands are growing again though - I hope he does as well as he has been doing for a long time. He looks stunning in the photographs - he's a photogenic little bugger!! It's great to hear that your Mum's in good form too....

Lesley Rigby said...

His photo is staying on my screen and throughout the day I will be willing him to get better and watching over him.

HandH said...

It looks wonderful, and on a bright winter day, I can't think of anything better!

Unknown said...

The great outdoors is so good for the soul. I'm so happy you all are enjoying it together. I've been taking Wilson to a beautiful park, with lots of trees, and he loves it. Not only does he have fun, but I can sense that he is relaxed as well. xx

Alison said...

sounds like a wonderful day..I have to tell you...I have a friend named Fiona, she is Irish, with an accent. whenever I get a comment from you...it is her voice I hear while I am reading it!!