Friday 18 April 2008

Holiday time

Knotted hankie at the ready....now, where's the beach?


Larry has decided that he needs a holiday. So tomorrow we are packing the car up and going to Cornwall for a week. We have found a beautiful converted mill near Bodmin moor. It has an enclosed garden and is surrounded by an orchard with a spring fed millpool. It really does look the perfect place to relax. It will be very strange going without Yogi but I hope not too sad. This will be the first time in about 12 years that we have been away with just one dog. Not having Yogi will be VERY different. For a start, the journey will be peaceful. Yogi was never a good traveller. I remember one holiday when we went to Wales. Yogi barked for the full 5 hours travelling time :o) Stressful? Yep, you bet it was. Since then we tried a variety of ways to keep him quiet. Hushers, cages, blacking out the car windows and even on occasion, tranquilisers as a last resort! Incidentally, we used to travel with ear plugs :o) The funny thing was that once we had reached our destination, I was loathe to take mine out. I liked the sort of muted sound of everything ;o). Last year I came accross the perfect solution. It was a kennel, enclosed on 3 sides, completely solid and made to measure for the car. It didn't roll about, creak or move. It was cosy and comfortable for both dogs. Yogi couldn't see out and so was quiet (ish) once he settled down. I wish that I had discovered that years ago. It was the best £400 I ever spent.

So, it will be a peaceful journey down to Cornwall. Well, almost. Larry "sings" a bit sometimes, but not too loudly thankfully. But I know I will miss my boy so very much.

I am looking forward to lots of walking, some pub lunches, a few visits to attractions like the seal sanctuary and I understand there is a donkey sanctuary nearby, maybe some riding and most of all.........some peace. It's not too much to ask is it?

C'mon Larry, lets get packing !!! And get that stupid hat off ;o)

9 comments:

Linda Seid Frembes said...

Have a great holiday week!

Lesley Rigby said...

This is the dangerous dog who people had to stay clear of? What a handsome boy! He looks simply wonderful..........a brilliant shot.

I am so envious of your holiday plans. Be happy and I will keep my fingers crossed for good weather for you. I can just hear the seagulls and smell those fishing villages!! Paradise....

Lesley Rigby said...

I wanted to add I love the "Did you get my best side? " photo. Another VERY handsome boy!

HandH said...

Cornwall? Boy, I'm envious - used to go down to the Lizard a lot when I lived in London - hope you have a good journey down, and get some time to unwind !

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Have a wonderful time!

I am very envious - I shoul dhave been in Cornwall this weekend but couldn't get anyone to swap work duty with me :(

Phil said...

LOL - loving the hat!
Have a great time in Cornwall. A nice part of the country that :]

Alison said...

enjoy your trip!!!

Unknown said...

Hi there! Went on the internet and looked up Cornwall. Wow, what a relaxing and beautiful spot to visit. I'll be right over to join you. :) How I wish....
Have a wonderful time and I'll be anxious to hear all about it. Hope Larry enjoys the getaway as well. XX

Anonymous said...

A weekend away sounds like heaven! Hope you had a wonderful time.

I'm a bit behind on keeping up with the blogs. Thank you, Fiona, for your kind post about Cole.

Hugs to you and Larry!